Monday, 19 November 2012

Up, Up and Away!

This last week our little John Geoffrey became an international traveller. That's right, we took the long trip from Adelaide, Australia to North Carolina, USA. Oh, don't worry, it's only three flights, over 30 travelling hours and a 15.5 hour time zone difference with a four and a half month old in tow...no biggy (yeah right).

John at the Dallas Fortworth Airport with his first passport stamp.
When we first booked the flights I felt nothing but confidence that John Geoffrey would be ok on the flights (my secret plan was to nurse at any sign of fussiness). However, as the time approached for us to leave I did feel more and more apprehensive, especially when I thought of how awkward it was going to be to nurse in those tiny plane seats. It also didn't help that he had a really fussy week before we left, or that I felt physically exhausted from running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to do everything before going.

Waiting for take-off at Adelaide airport

Hanging out with Daddy on the aeroplane
For our flight for Sydney (just under 2 hours) he nursed for take-off, and then pretty much slept the entire time. I didn't try to change his nappy on board, and then promptly forgot about it once we landed. Big mistake. And I'll tell you why - for those of you who know Sydney airport, you will know that there are 3 terminals, and while it's just a short walk between the Domestic terminals, the International terminal is not really in walking distance - especially with three suitcases, 2 carry-ons, a lap-top and a baby. We had actually flown to Sydney on a Jetstar flight, but our remaining travel was with Qantas. Somehow we needed to find our way to the International terminal and recheck ourselves and our bags in. I knew there had to be some sort of Qantas transfer bus, but didn't know where to find it and hence we found ourselves walking up and down the domestic terminal trying to follow signs that didn't make sense. It was truly frustrating and probably the most stressed John and I felt on the whole trip. Finally we had the bright idea to ask the Qantas lady at the baggage area, who told us we could go to the other domestic terminal and check in for our international flight there, they would take our bags and let us transfer to the international terminal on their bus after going through security again. Yipee! However, by this time we had wasted about an hour, add that to the two hour flight, and the time it took to get from home to the airport and John Geoffrey hadn't had his nappy changed in probably 4-5 hours, and he decided to let me know about it, because as we walked to the other domestic terminal I suddenly felt very warm and very wet all down the front of my top. Yep. John Geoffrey had pee'd through his nappy and it was running all down his leg and all onto me. Thank goodness I had followed a friends advice and packed a spare t-shirt in my carry-on - I just wasn't expecting to have to use it so soon!

Anyway, after a change of clothes for me and bub, checking in our luggage and transferring to the international airport we were free to enjoy the beauty of the customs line, more security checks, a quick bite to eat, before all three of us being bomb tested (who knew people travelling with babies were so suspicious!) and then pushing ahead in the boarding line to get priority as people travelling with infants (yes, we were the first ones on board).

Cutest little jet-setter ever!

On the way to Sydney

Asleep about 5 minutes later.
Now this flight, Sydney to Dallas, was the one I was most dreading - 15 hours of straight flying - of which John Geoffrey slept at least 11 hours of. Turns out he is a good traveller! We were actually lucky enough to get a bassinet seat for this flight, which means John had somewhere to lay and play and lay and sleep on the flight. Saving our arms, laps and sanity. You actually cannot book a bassinet seat before flying, you can only request it, and then they give priority to the youngest children when you book in. There were hardly any children on our flight and John was by far the youngest, so we were pretty much a shoo-in.

John only cried badly once on the flight, and that was the first time he woke up in the bassinet after a small nap. After a bit of a cuddle he settled right down. I managed to get a pretty decent sleep on the flight myself and was feeling pretty good by the time we got to Dallas.

Getting through Customs and security again was pretty easy, although again we were selected for bomb testing because we were travelling with an infant.

I have to say, I was really impressed with Dallas. Normally when I come to the US I go through LAX and I was determined not to have to go there again this trip - that place is awful - long queues, rude workers, undergrown tunnels, huge delays, dirty terminals. Dallas on the other hand was clean, quick and friendly. As an example, while we were waiting to go through security there, there was an older woman ahead of us who only had her internet print out of her booking with her, instead of her ticket (she needed to go check in and get a boarding pass printed at one of the automatic kiosks). The lady who was checking ID etc, was so nice to her, and explained the situation to her, called over another airport worker who then actually took the lady over to the kiosk, helped her check in and then took her straight through security so she wouldn't have to queue again. It was so nice to see that there are still people out there willing to help others, they could have so easily been dismissive of her.

We had a fairly long layover at Dallas, and so we had plenty of time to look around, get something to eat and have some play time for John Geoffrey.

Within hours of arriving in the USA I celebrate with pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, coleslaw, waffle fries and root beer (courtesy of Dickey's BBQ Pit at the Dallas Fortworth Airport). Oh yeah.
 
I don't know what it is, but John Geoffrey doesn't really like it when I eat. Eating at the Dallas airport was no exception - he pretty much screamed and carried on like a pork chop. I think he was well and truly over travelling by that time, and was a little worn out by it all. John and I took turns in holding him while the other one ate, and once I had finished I took him for a little walk to calm him down and he fell asleep. Poor little guy.

He didn't much like the flight from Dallas to Norfolk, Virginia either (about 3 hours). He alternated between sleeping and crying for the most part of the flight. Not even nursing would settle him down. I think the air pressure was really getting to him for the landing and I felt bad for him. We did our best to help him, and a few people at the back of the plane mentioned to me that he was so well behaved and they didn't hear him, so that was good (we sure could hear him though).

It was such a relief to know we could nearly stop travelling after getting of that flight - there was only the car ride home which would take about an hour.

John's parents met us at the airport to take us home, and it was so lovely to see them. Grandma Keaton got to hold John Geoffrey for the first time and of course he put on the charm as always :)

And so, we are here, and it feels really good! It is hard to have family on the other side of the world, and not to see them all the time, so I'm so thankful we have this opportunity to spend a good deal of time with John's parents, and to catch up with the rest of the Keaton clan while we are here. As Brenda said on instagram "Let the good times roll!"





No comments:

Post a Comment